Saturday, August 27, 2011

First week of classes

Here I am at the end of a long week of work/classes.  I definitely am going to enjoy this semester a lot.  It's like what I was saying in one of my earlier posts about how now when I'm older (well, 22), I'm able to appreciate and get a lot more out of school.  Interesting how that works.

I'm loving being in charge of employee scheduling, because I consequently get to write my own schedule too.  The downside to that is I have no one to blame but myself when I have a scheduling conflict with work, haha! One aspect of being a manager really gives me a kick.  My employees will call my cell phone at really odd times, in a panic, about a situation that really shouldn't be a big deal.

For example:
Concerned employee: "Ky! I added a new class, so I need to change my work availability! I'm so sorry, what do I do??"
Me: "Umm.. fill out a new availability form and put it in my box?" (Why are you calling me??)

I also hear a lot of "I'm sorry!" and "I promise it won't happen again," like I've got a suitcase full of wrath I'm waiting to open up around them or something.

Anyway, in other news, I've been extremely proactive with meeting professors and starting applications to study abroad programs, as well as (and more importantly) scholarships to send me abroad.  So far so good, although I'm concerned that my meager 2.83 GPA will set me back with being selected for a lot of things.  It will go up by the end of this semester (straight A's baby!), but I hope that doesn't offset my apps with the timing.  I'm still nursing my GPA back to health after the two years I spent on the crew team NOT really being a student.  You don't want to know how low it was.

Aside from that, Prof. Lupke, who is an extremely accomplished and high-esteemed Chinese professor, is one of the people I'm trying to get on my side for scholarships.  He used to be on the national board for the Boren Awards, which is one I'm applying for from the National Security Education Program.  Extremely competitive though.  Prof. Lupke was really impressed with me, however, for testing out of Chinese 102 and into 203 almost purely through self-study.  He said he couldn't remember the last time that had happened and it would be very much to my advantage when being reviewed.  That was very encouraging, and reminds me of why I am pursuing this area of study in the first place - playing to my strengths and utilizing my gift.

He also suggested that I look into the International Chinese Language Program in Taipei, Taiwan.  That is what he did during his undergrad, and it's a really spectacular immersion program.  I was a little skeptical at first, as most people probably are with Taiwan, because despite the Mandarin and similarities in culture.. it's not China.

For those of you who do not know, Taiwan used to be part of China, but seceded from mainland China after the Communist Party took over during the Chinese Civil War in 1949.  Since then, it has developed into a major economic and technological hub of Asia, and the entire island boasts some pretty beautiful scenery (from what I've seen).  Ergo, it is Chinese, but it's not China.

One major difference is that the Taiwanese don't use simplified Chinese characters like the mainland does, only traditional.  This wouldn't be a problem for me necessarily, as I've really only learned the traditional forms this far anyway, other than the differences I've picked up on my own.  For my name, for example, 孔凯, I always use the simplified characters because I think it looks cooler than the traditional 孔凱.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Upon further contemplation, Taiwan would totally be a cool choice.  I am going to study in China on my own after college regardless of whether I get to go to Harbin or Taipei or wherever for study abroad, so spending next year in Taiwan instead doesn't really change anything.  The program is a lot cheaper (I think), the climate is tropical, and I'd still be learning Mandarin.

I have more to say, but might save some for another time.  School is good, life is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment